Poem of the Day on Death

The drama dies
My Grandma is gone
CELEBRATE HER LIFE!
--here we are, a little empty
worried, anxious, procupadas
Preoccupied with the pain from
the final moments

DEATH causes frenzy
disorder, chaos,

A windy hospital
reflects in my mind

She was Mia's companion
the friend to an only child
only seven

Who knew?
eighty-two going on seven?

I was able to know
as much as much as
she'd share with me

She did what she wanted
I let her..

My mom would complain
she'd worry she'd get hurt

at eighty-two, washing dishes,
walking around, doing what she wanted

Little grandma wanted to wash her own cup
So, I let her

Sometimes I worried.
She'd go to the hospital

We'd be a little scared
I visited

--my mom, hysterical
I went to see little grandma one time

--she was calm, collective;
No, pues, aqui estoy bien


Last time, I didn't visit,
I thought, mom, exaggerating, again

And all of a sudden
so suddenly, I mean
--the relatives
those people that had seen her less
and less through out the years,

"Wow, it must be serious", it finally registered,
I thought to myself

What could I do?

Now she's gone
Probably con la Tia Licha,
our cat that just passed, Doctor Diablo,
he was black and macho,
the family dog, Samantha,
a golden colored mutt

Some Christians came
said some prayers

--they offended me,
they had to go on about their rhetoric
surrounding homosexuality, (as if it is bad to be gay or lesbian)
What in Jesus' name did that have to do with my little Grandma?

My sister, brother, and mother were prayed for..

I kept my composure because I saw that the prayers were helping my mom

My Abuelita Chiquita was Catholic,
the whole scene was funny to me

Abuela chiquita used to chant those prayers
associated with the Catholic saints
you know, the ones on the little cards
you get at the bodegas?
The saint is on one side the prayer on the other

--Well, Little grandma is gone

"I hope your passage over realms went well"

I am not sure where you went?
But I know if it weren't for you,
we'd be screwed.

Thanks for everything you gave us!

By Deborah Godinez 2011 ©

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pain, Clarity, Peace

A Body is Missing